[WriteLog] Setup & PTT

To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: [WriteLog] Setup & PTT
From: n1hko@arrl.net (N1HKO - Bill Fleming)
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2000 16:55:35 -0500
Hi Ric,

Thanks for all the quick help!

I have to question why there would be an arbitrary limit especially
as low as eight? As best I can tell, what appears to be a limit of 8
applys to all components of WL (rigs, rotors, Packet & RTTY). The
limit of 4 you speak of relates, I believe, only to Rigs. However, lets
say you have four rigs, TNC for packet, TNC for RTTY, and two
rotors. Now you are up to 8. In my case, ports 3-10 are external to
the PC (no IRQ issues). 1 & 2 are the "native" ports. Certain
devices, like the UPS, have to be connected to ports 1 or 2. So,
that leaves me only six possible ports (3 - 8) to connect up to eight
possible devices. The math just doesn't work.

As things evolve, I'm sure the maximum possible number
contemplated by WL will grow beyond eight. Just think about
amplifiers, tuners and other remote devices. Since the maximum
number of RS-232 ports configurable under windows is virtually (the
maximum I know of being tested is 256) limitless. Isn't eight a bit
on the low side? Each time I add ports, I add eight at a time.
Unless I have only two, I have ten.

I'll be the first to admit I may be pushing the envelope. But, isn't
that what this hobby is all about?

73,

Bill - N1HKO