[WriteLog] Packet spots

To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: [WriteLog] Packet spots
From: martyt@pobox.com (Marty Tippin)
Date: Wed, 1 Nov 2000 07:37:10 -0800 (PST)
Aren't the spots listed in the order they're received
from top to bottom? It certainly appeared that way
last weekend. And when a new spot for a station
already on the list comes in, that spot moves to the
top of the list. One thing I do notice is that the
bandmap and packet spot window have different
extinction times - spots seem to remain on the bandmap
a lot longer than in the packet window, which of
course causes some confusion.

I've come to the conclusion that trying to make a good
Search & Pounce effort is really counteracted by the
packet spot window - it's just too tempting to rely on
the spots for working all new stations instead of
actually turning the knob and listening. We ran MOST
last weekend using spots and my rates were poorer than
SOLP efforts I've done previously, when I
systematically tune the band from one end to the
other. Packet has a place - particularly for helping
find the new mults you need, but it can also really
distract you if you're not careful.

What really got me last weekend had nothing to do with
Writelog - but rather what appeared to be blatantly
bogus spots - I can't count the number of times I saw
a spot for some new one that I needed, clicked on it
and heard a 1 or 2 or 3 lander calling CQ *exactly* on
frequency. Is that a coincidence? I somehow doubt
it... But it is a somewhat clever way to get around
the rule against self-spotting...

73,

-Marty NW0L
 martyt@pobox.com