[WriteLog] Packet spots

To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: [WriteLog] Packet spots
From: jjreisert@alum.mit.edu (Jim Reisert AD1C)
Date: Wed, 01 Nov 2000 12:39:17 -0500
At 07:37 AM 11/1/00 -0800, Marty Tippin wrote:

>What really got me last weekend had nothing to do with
>Writelog - but rather what appeared to be blatantly
>bogus spots - I can't count the number of times I saw
>a spot for some new one that I needed, clicked on it
>and heard a 1 or 2 or 3 lander calling CQ *exactly* on
>frequency. Is that a coincidence? I somehow doubt
>it... But it is a somewhat clever way to get around
>the rule against self-spotting...

I don't think there was any foul play going on.  Consider these scenarios:

- A juicy multiplier calls in, say J28NH.  The station that was called
wants to brag about the call-in.  So instead of typing in "dx 14000 j28nh
called me", he just hits ALT-F3 (that's the CT key, don't know what the
WriteLog sequence is) and spots the juicy multiplier on his own frequency
by mistake.

- 20M op is running and J28NH calls in.  The M/M station passes J28NH to
21.345.  Someone overhears this and spots J28NH on 21.345. The multi works
the passed spot, then resumes calling CQ.

- Someone overhears J28NH on 21.345 and spots it.  By the time the spot has
gone out, the multi has resumed CQing.

I tend to believe that people are doing one of the 3 above, not to get
around the rule of spotting themselves.

73 - Jim AD1C

--
Jim Reisert AD1C <jjreisert@alum.mit.edu>