[WriteLog] More COM Ports

To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: [WriteLog] More COM Ports
From: martyt@pobox.com (Marty Tippin)
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2001 23:08:32 -0500
I've had good luck with the PCI add-on cards made by Siig (www.siig.com) -
I bought a card that has 2 ports and can expand to 4 ports (the "PCI
Expander 4S", about $70), all with no IRQ problems, etc. -- I presently
have a total of *7* serial ports (incl modem) in my machine with no
problems. My machine is relatively modern - Pentium III running on a
motherboard that's about 3 years old.  Older, slower, less modern machines
(Pentium I for instance) most likely will have trouble with these boards as
their support for PCI and plug-and-play wasn't quite up to speed.

Search the writelog archives at www.contesting.com -- enter something like
"writelog siig" under "List Search" on the left side of the page. You can
find my previous postings about this setup.

73,

-Marty NW0L
  martyt@pobox.com