[WriteLog] LSB is really FSK, and Entrgra Serial Hub issues

To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: [WriteLog] LSB is really FSK, and Entrgra Serial Hub issues
From: don@hfradio.com (Don Melcher)
Date: Sat, 16 Jun 2001 10:21:43 -0700
Thanks Don

Yes - I understand all that about FSK and AFSK, etc.

What is interesting, in the commercial (Marine) HF business (my business) -
FSK is Upper Sideband. and in the end, with Baudot or Si(Am)tor, it doesn't
matter, as long as the mark/space relationship is correct - i.e.: a RTTY
station with tones "normal" in LSB can work a station with tones "reversed"
in USB - the only thing different is the frequency on the dial - when in
LSB/USB factors in the BFO frequency, where a radio in FSK should - again,
at least in the commercial world, reads the carrier or "center" frequency.

In BPSK PSK31, Pactor or PactorII - it doesn't matter what sideband you are
on. It apparently does with QPSK, don't know about Clover.

The issue is that Feild Day is a Multi-Mode contest - and it seems to me
this is how it should work - when you have "LSB is really FSK" checked - the
program should put the radio in LSB mode when you select FSK as the mode for
the contact, and of course score it as a "data" QSO - and maybe that is how
it is working (though it did not initially indicate so) - I haven't had time
to further explore it, but it seems that the "wording" of the switch is
backwards - and perhaps, since the program also does PSK31 - it should be
"Data is really LSB" (or USB).

The advantage of using FSK or RTTY on some radios is that it lets you select
the narrow CW filter in that mode. On the Icom 718, it has an expanded
filter selection option that lets you select the 500hz filter in sideband -
on the 706, 746 and some others - you can fool the radio in telling it that
you have a narrow SSB filter installed in the set mode, but really it is the
CW filter.... but then you have to change it back in the set mode to use it
for CW, unless you want to install 2 CW filters. But RTTY or FSK on Icom ham
rigs is for the FSK tones generated in the radio, not the external modem or
sound card - something that WON'T work for PSK31, PactorII or Clover, so you
have to use SSB - also, be careful with Icom Ham Rigs as the Mic is not
muted by a PTT signal on the ACC jack if that is where you have your modem
hooked up - the Mic is still hot so you have to disconnect the mic when
running data in USB/LSB.

BTW - A quick way to tell the center of the IF passband for your radio with
the narrow filter is by usaing the tuning indicator in program like
Digi-pan - just look at the bandwidth of the white-noise coming through the
receiver!

One of the things on my "wish list" for WL is support of the Yaesu FT817 - a
really nifty QRP rig for portable operation (I travel a fair amount)- but it
would hopefully let you select the "User" data mode which is SSB with the
ability to select the narrow filter, and use the "Data" jack on the back as
the audio in instead of the Mic input.

But you are right about Yaesu - EVERY radio is different - that is why I, as
a SCS PTCII dealer, have stopped supporting Yaesu - SCS is feeling the same
way.

Hopefully I will have a PTCIIPRO in my hands by Field Day and be able to use
it for RTTY/PSK31 - the PTCII is a VERY GOOD RTTY box - hopefully the Pro
will be even better (hard to imagine).

73

Don Melcher
W6ZO