[WriteLog] LSB is really FSK

To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: [WriteLog] LSB is really FSK
From: martyt@pobox.com (Marty Tippin)
Date: Sat, 16 Jun 2001 13:02:58 -0500
At 12:21 PM 6/16/2001 , Don Melcher wrote:
>The issue is that Feild Day is a Multi-Mode contest - and it seems to me
>this is how it should work - when you have "LSB is really FSK" checked - the
>program should put the radio in LSB mode when you select FSK as the mode for
>the contact, and of course score it as a "data" QSO - and maybe that is how
>it is working (though it did not initially indicate so) - I haven't had time
>to further explore it, but it seems that the "wording" of the switch is
>backwards - and perhaps, since the program also does PSK31 - it should be
>"Data is really LSB" (or USB).

I'm not sure if this has been made clear enough or not:

Writelog figures out the mode you're using based on what the *radio* is set
to, not the other way around. So the "LSB is really FSK" option tells
WriteLog to assume that you're working RTTY (AFSK, FSK, doesn't matter)
whenever you put the radio in LSB mode. That's the only way Writelog can
understand that you want to do RTTY and not SSB when you put the radio in
LSB - without that option, WriteLog will log contacts as being on phone
mode anytime the radio is in LSB, and it won't send the programmed function
key macros for RTTY - it'll try to send wave files from the digital voice
recorder instead.

Field Day is the only contest I know of that allows as many different modes
- most are either digital, CW or SSB only. So what that means is, you're
going to have to turn on or off that check box as appropriate depending on
what mode you're running (or, dedicate a rig to CW and digital modes only
and another to SSB)

-Marty NW0L
  martyt@pobox.com