[WriteLog] Wierd Win2K problem

To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: [WriteLog] Wierd Win2K problem
From: dick.green@valley.net (Dick Green)
Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2001 02:48:53 -0400
I've just run into what I think is the strangest incompatibility problem
I've ever seen. I tried using Writelog soundboard SSB under Windows 2000 for
the first time and it produces *horrendous* sounds. It's real bad in the
FT-1000D, and audible but not as bad in the FT-1000mp. It's computer RFI --
when I monitor the transmit signal, I can hear the pulsing of Writelog
polling the rigs and can hear hash when I move my mouse across the screen.
What's totally bizarre is that I can reboot under Win 98 and the problem
does not exist at all -- the SSB output is as clean as a whistle. This is
without making any changes to hardware, cables, etc -- just booting under a
different OS (my computer has two hard drives, one loaded with Win2K and the
other with Win 98, and I can boot either one.)

Seems to me that computer RFI is leaking into the soundboard, which in turn
is riding the cables to the rig (yes, I use audio isolation transformers.)
All I can speculate is that Win2K is turning on some relay or transistor in
the hardware that's physically linking the soundboard with the CPU or I/O
bus or causing some sort of ground loop (and Win 98 doesn't do that.)

Does anybody have any idea at all what could be happening or how I can
troubleshoot/fix this?