[WriteLog] Working dupes

To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: [WriteLog] Working dupes
From: clive@gw3njw.fsworld.co.uk (Clive Whelan)
Date: Mon, 06 Aug 2001 18:07:47 +0100
In article <200108061547.LAA02297@mclean.mail.mindspring.net>, Barry
wrote:

> I vote for leaving it alone. When you read the docs and see how
> %B works, you know what to do. It's a one-time learning
> experience. Also, when S&P'ing, it's an added protection to keep
> you from calling a dupe. Suppose you enter a call, and don't see
> the dupe notice. You hit F4 to call (or whichever buffer contains
> your call) and nothing is sent.
> Barry
> --

With respect, that's not the case. I was referring to the <enter> key
which is sending the F10 message in "run" mode. My F4 message does indeed
have %B%B in it, so I can *never* call a dupe, which I agree would be daft

Actually imo this highlights a weakness of WL vis-a-vis most other
loggers, in that it does not have separate run and S&P modes, in which
case such a conflict would never occur. Of course programmers hate it when
the same key sometimes does different things depending on circumstances,
but I propose that is much the better situation in a logging prog. Sure
it's sometimes possible to end up in run when you intended to be in S&P,
but imo that's a price worth paying.

Let me confess my ignorance, and ask whether perhaps the way WL is
configured is because it is predicated on the basis of RTTY operation,
whereas most other loggers  are CW/SSB in their outlook. I used to run
RTTY, but that was when you genuinely had to " print" the copy. Ah those
were the days(NOT!)

73

Clive

GW3NJW