[WriteLog] Observations

To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: [WriteLog] Observations
From: w9hly@decaturnet.com (w9hly@decaturnet.com)
Date: Sun, 19 Aug 2001 17:40:57 -0500
This was my first use of WriteLog. I was using the WriteLog/MMTTY
combination. I used it in the SARTG contest. The following notes
may be 'old saw'. Please bear with me.

1.  AFC:        AFC is enabled without a direct operator command. My
        observation showed it happened about 40% of the time after an
        entry was made. Less frequent without any noticeable sequence.

2.  BOGUS CHR(s):   My transmission data is in the color of blue.
                Frequently there are 1,2 or 3 bogus character that precede
                the programmed data (Setup/CQ/RTTY/SSB messages).

3.  MMTTY Window:  The data in the Mark., Shift., BW., AV. is
        blank at start-up, on occasion. Data is entered after using. On
        XMT or RCV I don't recall.

4.  MMTTY Focus:    When you click the RTTY Control Panel you
        MUST click the WriteLog window before you can transmit.

5.  QUE confusion:    Although infrequent, anxious fingers can get
        the Function keys to NOT respond with the programmed data. I
        appears that pressing F3 as an example and you meant to press
        F4, pressing ESC and then F4 you get F3's programmed
        data. You escape by pressing ESC until it cooperates. Not a
        very precise description but not a very frequent occurrence.

6.   CABRILLO:  SARTG accepts Cabrillo files but the latest version
        of WriteLog does not.

7.   Entry Warning:   Under certain conditions it may be good to
        have a warning that you are about to enter new data BEFORE
        entering the last QSO data. Yes, it adds an extra step. Maybe
        there is a trade-off issue here.  It can lead to a bit of

        embarrassment such as, 'WRKD B4'. . . .

Vern W9HLY