[WriteLog] PTT asserted when it should not be

To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: [WriteLog] PTT asserted when it should not be
From: gbaron@home.com (Gil Baron)
Date: Sat, 06 Oct 2001 19:30:31 -0500
--=====================_1354828==_.ALT

In order to test that using a port for CW will turn off the DTR, I selected
port 4 and I get the message that shared radio and cw on the selected port
is not possible. WHY, what is happening here. In fact, I did not even
select a rig control box at all and II get that message. I cannot use Port
4 or 3 for CW no matter what!

I must point out that 3 and 4 are PCI COMM cards. It seems that the system
he used cannot communicate properly with the PCI COMM drivers.

Don't tell me to switch to 1 and 2. I need those also. I bought the card as
I need 4 ports. These ought to all work fine with windows.

At 19:16 10/6/2001, Gil Baron wrote:
>At 17:30 10/6/2001, Joe Subich, K4IK wrote:
>
>> > In other words, if the program is running the DTR and DSR are asserted.
>> > If it is not running then they are not. This is the ONLY program I have
>> > that works that way. What is happening? I can use the program ONLY by
>> > turning ofPTT control in RigBlaster and using the Radio Commnad htat
>> > THANKFULLY WriteLog produces. Otherwis the program would be totally
>> > unusable for me.
>> >
>> > WHAT would I do if I had a radio that did not support the PTT command?
>> > The program positively should NOT assert those lies and should assert
>> > RTS and ONLY RTS and ONLY when in transmit. It doesn't work that way!
>> >
>> > I realize I may be doing something wrong. If I am, I do not see it and
>> > would like advice.
>>
>>*READ THE INSTRUCTIONS/HELP FILE* --- it took me all of two minutes
>>(including time to boot the machine that I use for WriteLog) to find
>>the following:
>>
>>1) The help file clearly states that DTR/RTS (DSR is an input signal)
>>    will be asserted on any port that is not used to send CW.
>>
>>2) To keep DTR/RTS from being asserted:
>>
>>    a) Set CW KEYER TYPE -> PC Generates
>>    b) Set "All mode PTT on CW port RTS"
>>    c) select CW on the same port that you use to control the Rigbalster.
>

>And that is the problem. I cannot select CW on the same port as I control
>the rig. CW is on an independent port. If I want to do that I will have to
>rewire my cable and use it for the CW . I suppose I could but I would have
>to change other programs and some will not allow that. That is NOT a
>simple task as I now have a cable with the interface hanging on it and
>also connecting it to the radio CW.
>
>I  said before, I did read and did not find and as you can see, it is not
>there.
>I showed you my setup with the diagram, it shows a different port for CW
>that there is for radio control.
>
>>    In fact, if you have a RigBlaster Plus (has an "extra" optoisolator)
>>    you can actually use it for both CW and AFSK ... internal jumpers can
>>    select DTR for CW and RTS for PTT.
>

>I don't have the plus. I could rewire the blaster but I am not going to go
>in and cut diodes.
>Thanks for the try but you can see my problem.
>If it had been originally constructed for this program it would have been
>easy.
>

>>73,
>>    ... Joe, K4IK
>
>Gil Baron http://members.home.com/gbaron
>W0MN 44.08208 N 92.51263 W 1055'
>"Baila como nadie te ve"

Gil Baron http://members.home.com/gbaron
W0MN 44.08208 N 92.51263 W 1055'
"Baila como nadie te ve"

--=====================_1354828==_.ALT

In order to test that using a port for CW will turn off the DTR, I
selected port 4 and I get the message that shared radio and cw on the
selected port is not possible. WHY, what is happening here. In fact, I
did not even select a rig control box at all and II get that message. I
cannot use Port 4 or 3 for CW no matter what!<br><br>
I must point out that 3 and 4 are PCI COMM cards. It seems that the
system he used cannot communicate properly with the PCI COMM drivers.
Don't tell me to switch to 1 and 2. I need those also. I bought the card
as I need 4 ports. These ought to all work fine with windows.<br><br>
At 19:16 10/6/2001, Gil Baron wrote:<br>
K4IK wrote:<br><br>
is running the DTR and DSR are asserted. <br>
&gt; If it is not running then they are not. This is the ONLY program I
have <br>
&gt; that works that way. What is happening? I can use the program ONLY
by <br>
&gt; turning ofPTT control in RigBlaster and using the Radio Commnad htat
&gt; THANKFULLY WriteLog produces. Otherwis the program would be totally
&gt; unusable for me.<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; WHAT would I do if I had a radio that did not support the PTT
command?<br>
&gt; The program positively should NOT assert those lies and should
assert <br>
&gt; RTS and ONLY RTS and ONLY when in transmit. It doesn't work that
way!<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; I realize I may be doing something wrong. If I am, I do not see it
and <br>
&gt; would like advice.<br><br>
*READ THE INSTRUCTIONS/HELP FILE* --- it took me all of two minutes
(including time to boot the machine that I use for WriteLog) to find
the following: <br><br>
1) The help file clearly states that DTR/RTS (DSR is an input signal)
&nbsp;&nbsp; will be asserted on any port that is not used to send CW.
2) To keep DTR/RTS from being asserted: <br><br>
&nbsp;&nbsp; a) Set CW KEYER TYPE -&gt; PC Generates <br>
&nbsp;&nbsp; b) Set &quot;All mode PTT on CW port RTS&quot; <br>
&nbsp;&nbsp; c) select CW on the same port that you use to control the
And that is the problem. I cannot select CW on the same port as I control
the rig. CW is on an independent port. If I want to do that I will have
to rewire my cable and use it for the CW . I suppose I could but I would
have to change other programs and some will not allow that. That is NOT a
simple task as I now have a cable with the interface hanging on it and
also connecting it to the radio CW.<br><br>
I&nbsp; said before, I did read and did not find and as you can see, it
is not there.<br>
I showed you my setup with the diagram, it shows a different port for CW
that there is for radio control.<br><br>
RigBlaster Plus (has an &quot;extra&quot; optoisolator) <br>
&nbsp;&nbsp; you can actually use it for both CW and AFSK ... internal
jumpers can <br>
I don't have the plus. I could rewire the blaster but I am not going to
go in and cut diodes.<br>
Thanks for the try but you can see my problem.<br>
If it had been originally constructed for this program it would have been
easy.<br><br>
&nbsp;&nbsp; ... Joe, K4IK </blockquote><br>
eudora="autourl">http://members.home.com/gbaron</a><br>
W0MN 44.08208 N 92.51263 W 1055'<br>
&quot;Baila como nadie te ve&quot; </blockquote>
<x-sigsep><p></x-sigsep>
Gil Baron
eudora="autourl">http://members.home.com/gbaron</a><br>
W0MN 44.08208 N 92.51263 W 1055'<br>