[Re: [WriteLog] More re XP Upgrade Issues]

To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: [Re: [WriteLog] More re XP Upgrade Issues]
From: gbaron@home.com (Gil Baron)
Date: Fri, 09 Nov 2001 18:38:08 -0600
--=====================_26774369==_.ALT

At 17:21 11/9/2001, Dean Norris wrote:
>At 16:54 11/9/2001, Larry Lindblom wrote:
>>But, you would be upset if the new car didn't run on gasoline;-)  If you
>>consider software the fuel that makes things go, having to switch to newer
>>more expensive fuel is a pain.  As always the cost of an upgrade is more
>>than just the new OS.  It includes everything else you will have to upgrade.
>>Which is why we are not upgrading at work.
>>
>>73 W0ETC
>
>I don't disagree but upgrades are just that.  More 'bang' for the
>buck.  One must weigh the gains vs, the losses.  If the new OS has more
>negatives than benefits, no one forces the change.  I use 98SE on one
>computer, ME on another and 2K on my main machine.  I have no need to
>change to XP AT THIS TIME.  I will no doubt be persuaded to change in the
>future.  What capabilities I lose will be more than made up for but the
>benefits.  E.g., CT was made generally obsolete in 2K.  Guess what... I
>went to a much more powerful logger, Writelog.  I sold my Tandy 1200 in
>1990.  CT worked great in it, HIHI

OTOH look at the articles on and pointed to by the LockerGnome mailing
list. XP is as bad as 1/2 the speed of  WIN2000 for many applications and
also worse than WIN98. If you have WIN 2000 and do not have to upgrade, don't.
If you have ANY version of WIN98 then it is worth the money and th e
hassle, even if you have to upgrade hardware. VERY little software that
runs on WIN98 will need upgrades.

>YMMV
>
>Dean
>

>--
>                         Let's Roll

Gil Baron http://members.home.com/gbaron
W0MN 44.08208 N 92.51263 W 1055'
"Baila como nadie te ve"

--=====================_26774369==_.ALT

At 17:21 11/9/2001, Dean Norris wrote:<br>
wrote:<br>
car didn't run on gasoline;-)&nbsp; If you<br>
consider software the fuel that makes things go, having to switch to
newer<br>
more expensive fuel is a pain.&nbsp; As always the cost of an upgrade is
more<br>
than just the new OS.&nbsp; It includes everything else you will have to
upgrade.<br>
Which is why we are not upgrading at work.<br><br>
73 W0ETC</blockquote><br>
I don't disagree but upgrades are just that.&nbsp; More 'bang' for the
buck.&nbsp; One must weigh the gains vs, the losses.&nbsp; If the new OS
has more negatives than benefits, no one forces the change.&nbsp; I use
98SE on one computer, ME on another and 2K on my main machine.&nbsp; I
have no need to change to XP AT THIS TIME.&nbsp; I will no doubt be
persuaded to change in the future.&nbsp; What capabilities I lose will be
more than made up for but the benefits.&nbsp; E.g., CT was made generally
obsolete in 2K.&nbsp; Guess what... I went to a much more powerful
logger, Writelog.&nbsp; I sold my Tandy 1200 in 1990.&nbsp; CT worked
great in it, HIHI<br>
OTOH look at the articles on and pointed to by the LockerGnome mailing
list. XP is as bad as 1/2 the speed of&nbsp; WIN2000 for many
applications and also worse than WIN98. If you have WIN 2000 and do not
have to upgrade, don't.<br>
If you have ANY version of WIN98 then it is worth the money and th e
hassle, even if you have to upgrade hardware. VERY little software that
runs on WIN98 will need upgrades.<br><br>
Dean<br><br>
--<br>
<x-tab>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;</x-tab><x-tab>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;</x-tab><x-tab>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;</x-tab>Let's
Roll<br><br>