[WriteLog] CW problems and the Swap file

To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: [WriteLog] CW problems and the Swap file
From: k4ik@subich.com (Joe Subich, K4IK)
Date: Fri, 31 May 2002 00:37:14 -0400
Craig,

I have done this for years.  When I set up a new system I
do the following:

1) disable virtual memory
2) run defrag
3) turn virtual memory back on and create a fixed swap file
   between 256 and 512 MB (usually twice the size of the
   physical RAM)

This procedure creates a permanent swap file that does not
grow/shrink and the operating system doesn't have to spend
time assigning/freeing/moving space on the hard drive.  The
swap file is also in one piece so access is more efficient.

The only thing I can't do any more (that I did regularly
with Windows 3.1) is force the swap file to the very front
of the disk.  However, with modern (fast) disks, having the
swap file back a bit on the drive doesn't seem to be much
of a penalty.

73,

   ... Joe, K4IK

PS. I don't know if this works with XP since Windows 2000
    would ignore the maximum swap file size setting if
    it needed to do so (may have been fixed in a service pack).