[WriteLog] Can't Select LPT Ports

To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: [WriteLog] Can't Select LPT Ports
From: scot@k9jy.com (Scot Herrick)
Date: Sun, 16 Jun 2002 15:22:32 -0500
It has been WELL documented in the reflector and on my site for two years
that parallel keying does not work with Windows NT, 2000, XP Home, XP
Professional. The reason is that those Windows versions will not allow
direct access to the parallel port (one of the major reasons for crashes in
previous OS).

Your choices are: put in DirectIO driver (some of done this, but there are
no guarantees) which overrides the OS and allows direct access to the port,
do your keying via the serial port, or buy an external keyer such as the
W5XD keyer.

I changed my to serial keying and have been very happy.

CU...Scot, K9JY

See K9JY's WriteLog User Support Site at:
http://www.k9jy.com
mailto:scot@k9jy.com

I'm installing WriteLog on a new computer running XP Professional.  I have
been successfully using LPT1 on my old computer for CW keying.  On the new
computer I cannot select LPT1 for use with CW.  In fact, I can't check ANY
of
the boxes associated with the LPT ports for anything (CW, rig control,
etc.).

Device Manager indicates I have one working LPT port (LPT1 at 0378h).

A look a WriteLog.ini shows a listing for 3 LPT ports (LPT 1 through 3 at
3BCh, 378h, and 278h respectively.  Does this mean WriteLog thinks it
detected 3 LPT ports?  I changed this to just a single listing for LPT1 at
378h, but that didn't solve the problem.

Any ideas as to what is wrong?

73, Bob - W3YY