[WriteLog] Save is Slow with large logs

To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: [WriteLog] Save is Slow with large logs
From: eric@K3NA.ORG (Eric Scace K3NA)
Date: Wed Mar 5 18:51:09 2003
Hi Marty --

   Yes, I had the same problem on a 750 MHz machine in the WW CW contest.

   After a series of email exchanges with Wayne W5XD about the internal
workings of WL and saving, it became apparent that there was
no need to "save" the log after each QSO.  If you want to peel back the onion
one layer, read on...

   After every QSO is logged, WL records it to disk in a file named [name of
your contest log]_bck.adi.  This disk file contains the
additional QSOs made (anywhere in the network) since the log was "saved" to the
[name of your contest log].wl file.

   If the computer or WriteLog should crash, the operator will be given the
opportunity to pick up all the QSOs in the _bck.adi file
when he opens the log file.

   There is no material increased risk in losing the QSOs made since the last
save to the .wl file.

   In conclusion, a File/Save command simply integrates the _bck.adi QSOs made
recently with those already in the .wl file, and
writes the now-larger .wl file back on the disk.  Then the _bck.wl file is
zero'd out, waiting for more new QSOs.

   This seems very secure -- even belt & suspenders redundant, especially on a
network with multiple computers, each writing the
full .wl and _bck.adi files on their respective disks.

   As a result, I've configure my WL to not save at all (until I tell it to)...
and not to give me a warning message until I have
arbitrarily-chosen 1000 new QSOs in the _bck.adi file.  During a slow moment in
the contest I might do a File/Save command, but I
really don't worry about it anymore.

   Lastly, on a new computer with a 2.1 GHz processor and a huge, empty hard
drive, a 4500 QSO log saved in about a tenth of a
second... so this confirms your observation that File/Save time appears to be
somewhat related to processor speed (although faster
disks are probably also correllated with fast processors).

-- Eric K3NA