[WriteLog] WL/MMTTY Problem

To: Writelog@contesting.com, rtty@contesting.com
Subject: [WriteLog] WL/MMTTY Problem
From: Scott Nichols <snichols@mvosprey.com>
Date: Mon, 10 Nov 2003 21:12:11 -0400
I've been having an irritating problem here for months and I can't get rid of it...Maybe someone here can help...

Using Writelog v 10.42C with MMTTY plugin on a PIII Win98se computer...Running FSK...

Problem:

Periocically, the RTTY Control Panel window will freeze up on me, making it unable to decode RTTY signals...All else works fine when this happens, i.e. I can still hear the signals, I can still send RTTY, I can log, save etc in Writelog...When it does freeze, the wave line in the Control Panel window freezes in a pattern similar to that which appears when transmitting (like a Bell curve)...Also, it appears to only occur after I TX or during a TX...I have never seen it happen when just sitting there listening...To fix this problem, all I have to do is close Writelog and immediately reopen it...It is a royal pain in the ____ as it occurs randomly...Sometimes it happens every minute or so, other times it doesn't haunt me for hours...

Other times, I get a Windows "Illegal Operation" error...same as above, everything else works fine, I can save etc etc...Again, closing WL and immediately reopening it solves the problem...When this happens, everything slows down on the close/reopen process, but it always comes back...

I'm no computer guru, but when I see Illegal Operation errors, that generally means there is a software conflict somewhere...I have completely wiped WL, MMTTY from my machine and reloaded from scratch...Still the same thing...

Anyone having or had the same trouble ? If so what did you do to fix it ? bad soundcard ? Settings issue ? Windows problem ?

Or, anyone have any suggestions ?

Any help would be appreciated...

73, Scott VE1OP