Re: [WriteLog] Anoyance during ARRL DX contest & AutoSave doesn'tsave

To: writelog@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [WriteLog] Anoyance during ARRL DX contest & AutoSave doesn'tsave
From: "Bob Naumann - N5NJ" <n5nj@gte.net>
Date: Thu, 11 Mar 2004 04:15:24 -0600
Could someone who has done all of the research please post a listing of what
needs to be inserted into the INI file to shut off all of this new stuff?

Or, will the next release change the default to off?

We used 10.45 at V26DX this past weekend, with fairly good results.  The entry
area clearing and callsigns popping up that we were not trying to work were
very frustrating.  When running, we'd often have the callsign of the station we
just worked pop up again.  This was confusing as I thought that perhaps I had
forgotten to actually log the station.  Then, I would be trying to enter a new
callsign, and it would be mixed up with the new station I was working, and I
had to stop running to sort it all out.  Not good.  I was OK with this myself,
but I had 3 other operators there who are new to Writelog, and they were
frustrated with this behavior.

Also - why can't you delete a QSO any longer during the contest?  We had our
computers networked, and to test them out, we entered some dummy qsos.  I then
went to delete them, and could not.  I did not want to have to go through the
multi-step process of getting the network running, so I did not shut Writelog
down.  Apparently, after shutting it down once, you can delete qsos.  Perhaps
it has always been this way, but until the networking is more automatic, this
is very frustrating.

Regarding networking, we used 2 computers running Win98 and NetBeui, and had no
trouble whatsoever related to the network at all.  I started the computers and
got them networked a couple of hours before the contest, and the worked
perfectly until the end of the contest.

We did see some strage behaviors however.  QSO numbers were missing, or
duplicated.  The QSO count shown in our summary differed quite a bit from what
the entry window showed.  It didn't seem to make any difference, so I ignored
it.  Strange anyway.

One of the computers did not recognize LB for Labrador, which caused that
computer to show one multiplier less than the other.  I have no clue why they
were different.  This was the only discrepancy between the two computers.

The auto save thing, and the auto save alert thing drove me nuts.  I had the
autosave set to 50, 100, -1, and the silly warning message kept showing up.  I
then found that there was another parameter that controls the alert.  This
needs to default to off too.

Aside from these few minor quirks, it worked well.

I did identify a new problem, but it has nothing to do with Writelog.   That
was when I asked a station if he could work us on another band.  He replied
that we had already worked on that other band.  I told him that my computer did
not show it, and I asked him when we worked on that band.  His reply was "in
October".

73,

N5NJ