Re: [WriteLog] Request for help.

To: writelog@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [WriteLog] Request for help.
From: Phil Duff NA4M <na4m@arrl.net>
Date: Thu, 11 Mar 2004 12:20:59 +0000
At 09:39 3/11/2004, Bob Naumann - N5NJ wrote:
I then decided to try their new email program called "Bloomba", which is very similar to many other email programs, but is tightly integrated with Spam Assassin. I see very, very few real spam emails now, and those that I do, I just click on the big "Delete as Spam" button, and the program learns to block that type from there on out.

I also periodically review the Spam folder to see if it has id'ed an email erroneously as Spam, but it has not done so after about the first 3 weeks of using it. I have been using Bloomba for about 4 months now, and I am very pleased.

Check it out at: http://www.statalabs.com

Bloomba with SaProxy/Spam Assassin work pretty well. I used it for several weeks.

However, I found that SaProxy/Spam Assassin is a resource hog - it's process was tying up 20-30mb of memory usage according to XP's Task Manager. Also Bloomba and SAProxy had "free beta test" versions that I believe are no longer available from their web site - it's now "test drive" for a limited time I believe.

I've gone back to Eudora with a freeware spam tool "POPFile" http://popfile.sourceforge.net/ - POPFile has worked well - uses about 1/2 as much memory (~15mb) as SaProxy/Spam Assassin and after an initial "training" period is about 98% successful in catching spam. Very customizable with different email "buckets" to classify incoming emails, easy to reclassify and train.

POPFile should work with most any POP email program.

Dunno what this has to do with WriteLog but at least the WL reflector email doesn't get put in the "Junk" folder along with the spam!

73 Phil NA4M