RE: [WriteLog] Open Letter to Wayne - Networking

To: "Robin D. Keller" <rdkeller@nashvillenc.com>,<WriteLog@contesting.com>
Subject: RE: [WriteLog] Open Letter to Wayne - Networking
From: "Roger Hackler" <rhackler@mindspring.com>
Date: Tue, 29 Jun 2004 08:56:09 -0400
At N4N, this was the fourth year we used Writelog in a networked
environment.  I can attest that it is a bunch better now than a few years
ago.  What made it really easy for us this year was that we ran all 9
stations on the same OS, which was Windows 2000 SP3.  We used a 9 of
salvaged IBM thinkpads.

The key for us was that we loaded one machine with the OS and Writelog. The
NetBIOS name was creatively enough N4N1.   We set up that machine with a
user name of n4n and a password of n4n. We loaded Userport on that machine
and got the parallel interface available in WL.   We set up the machine to
get it's IP address from a DHCP server.  We then imaged that machine and did
a core load on the eight other machines.

At that point, we changed the machine name on the other 8 machines,
creatively enough to N4N2, N4N3, etc.  All that was left to do was customize
the rig control and keying interfaces as required.

We ran the entire contest with minimal problems.  NetDDE would die
occasionally, but it was no big deal.  We simply stopped and restarted the
service on the effected machine as we had time.  You have to remember that
the logs will synch when the machine came back on line.

All in all we had no complaints this year.  Admittedly, we have 4 years of
experience using WL in the FD environment.

If I could give any tips, it would be to follow the instructions in minute
detail from the K9JY website.  If you are using 2000 or XP, make sure you
follow the instructions on the WL website (They are referenced on the K9JY
site).

One of the biggest steps is to make very sure that you have the identical
log on each machine from the start, and that you do a Save configuration and
Save File on each machine, every time you do anything.

Just my 2 cents worth.

73 de KN6RO