Re: [WriteLog] Open Letter to Wayne - Networking

To: WriteLog@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [WriteLog] Open Letter to Wayne - Networking
From: Bruce Ferry <ak8b@brightdsl.net>
Date: Tue, 29 Jun 2004 15:08:14 -0400
Rob wrote:
I would agree with what you are saying about the internet functionality.  It
honestly would be more trouble than it would be worth.  You would need at
least one or two IP addresses (depending on your hardware) on each end and
set up a VPN.  This would be way beyond the expertise of 90% of the users at
best.

Stick to TCP/IP as a private LAN, don't try to go public or you will be
opening Pandora's a Pandora's box.

I disagree. I think it is important to be able to connect from "outside" my local LAN. Why would we need a VPN? The gamers do this on a grand scale now so I would think Writelog could. Opening up a port and directing it to my "server" on my router is no problem.

I probably wouldn't use it often but there are a few contests where a group of us could work the contests where this is allowed as a multi-multi - and with all the comforts of home at hand.

Like I said, migration to a pseudo client/server mode where the system
hosting the log is the "server" and everyone else connects to this box via
TCP/IP using a broadcast/handshake should yield a very stable environment.

As far as operating systems, let's face it folks, 98 will die soon.  It will
not support the new hardware in the future.  Manufacturers are already
talking about dropping driver support for it, and the newer systems have so
much greater stability that the 9X systems will be gone in 2-3 years at
best.

This is very unrealistic. WIN98 will be around for some time - not on new hardware but it will live on in the old stuff us cheap (oops I meant thrifty) hams frequently use. My Pentium 100 laptop with 40 MB RAM does just fine running Writelog and I see no reason to spend money on an upgrade.

I guess what I am saying is that it may be time to think about migration
before WL is forced to due to technology changes.  It is better to be ahead
of the curve than left behind.

Amen!

Rob
AF2FA