[WriteLog] cut numbers

To: "WriteLog" <WriteLog@contesting.com>
Subject: [WriteLog] cut numbers
From: "archie mckay" <arcub@alltel.net>
Date: Thu, 28 Oct 2004 20:45:11 -0400
Guys
Cut numbers  originated with the Chinese Army. The  Army Security Agency,
which was charged with intercept duties of CW and fone traffic learned to
use it. When I went to ASA school we were taught cut numbers along with
regular morse. The reason? The Chinese had so many dialects that their army
came up with a language of numbers and used cut numbers. I think I can
remember most  of them:

A=1
U=2
V-3
?=4
E=5
?=6
D=7
B=8
N=9
T=10

It has been a lot of years so I may be a good bit off base but the above is
generally the idea. They are called "cut" numbers because you cut off the
extra dahs on 1 through 5 and cut off the extra dits on 6 through zero.
73, Archie, K4GA