Re: [WriteLog] Cut numbers

To: "M. Edward Wilborne III" <wilborne@mew3.com>
Subject: Re: [WriteLog] Cut numbers
From: "Bob Henderson" <bob@cytanet.com.cy>
Date: Fri, 29 Oct 2004 07:50:29 -0000
Ed

Your enquiring mind will carry you through.  I've been contesting for more
than 35 years and still find new things to learn.  BTW after 35 years I'm
still a relative newcomer.

I remember facing the same frustration and over the exact same issue, back
in the sixties.  I was floored by cut number exchanges just as you've been.
It took a while and a few enquiries to get to the bottom of the matter.

N as a cut for 9 is pretty much universal.  Just about everyone sends 5NN
not 599
T as a cut for zero is also very widely used.  The next most common is A for
1 but far fewer folks use that.  Even less frequently used is E for 5.  The
remaining cut numbers are rarely used and will likely cause serious
confusion even among experienced contesters.  If you learn N, T & A you will
have 99.99% of exchanges well in hand.

Maybe I'm mistaken but I thought you were able to enter received cuts
directly into Writelog and have them translated there. Or maybe that's a
feature that was once there but has disappeared?  I've always done cut
number translation in my head so that's not a feature I've relied on.

Cut numbers are frustrating at first but have significant benefits.  In a
serial numbered exchange the use of cuts for 9 & 0 can easily reduce
exchange time by 10%.  In a 48 hour contest that can free up almost 5 hours
in which to make more contacts!

Welcome to contesting Ed but be careful, you might get hooked!

73

Bob

Bob Henderson, 5B4AGN, P3F
Giolou, Pafos, Cyprus