RE: Re: [WriteLog] Re: Serial Numbers in Multi Operations

To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: RE: Re: [WriteLog] Re: Serial Numbers in Multi Operations
From: "Chris Burbanks" <g3sjj@btinternet.com>
Date: Mon, 29 Nov 2004 22:55:28 -0000
I wanted to respond to this but was involved with CQWW over the weekend.

We have used WL at GU8D in the IOTA Contest for the past 2 years and are
very much aware of the problem. The adjudicator is also aware but as far as
I know would not penalise anyone for duplicate serial numbers. In fact the
rules say "serial number starting from 001," but doesn't mention
incrementing or duplicate. I guess though it is a matter of wanting to see a
correct display on the screen and subsequently in the log. Prior to this for
7 years we used NA logging program which is similar to CT and didn't see any
problem.

In our case we network 4 computers, that is 2 on each radio. A = Run Main
op, B = Run Sub Rx, C = Mult Main Op, D = Mult Sub Rx.

If D types a call in, a serial number is allocated, but the same number is
available to all the other machines. Usually what happens is A will log that
number and continue on its way, then sometime after D will log the QSO and
not only duplicate the number, but it will appear maybe 5 minutes or more
further down the log and, at an average of say 120 Qs per hour, that could
be 10 Qs away.

There is another aspect whilst on this discussion. Computers B and D are
unable to have serial control of the Sub Rx. I understand N1MM logger can do
this. Again we reckon this ought to be achievable within WL. This would also
help those of us who practice SO1.5R. ie, using the sub rx for S&P, rather
than going for full SO2R.

It just seems to us that a logging program as sophisticated and clever as WL
should be able to surmount these problems, but I guess as always on this
Reflector it is a case of making a big noise gets results. Sometimes it pays
not to be a Brit nor to be polite! Of course if it was a Diddly mode problem

Chris G3SJJ (G8D in CQWW)