Re: [WriteLog] Re: Serial Numbers in Multi Operations

To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [WriteLog] Re: Serial Numbers in Multi Operations
From: "M. Edward Wilborne III" <wilborne@mew3.com>
Date: Tue, 30 Nov 2004 14:13:17 -0500
I disagree.  I think the problem is the lack of use of database technology.
Instead of using a database, such as mySQL (SQL server softare which is
free), the logging applications are "broadcasting" the same log information
to all the workstations which is in fact more network intensive than using a
database, and full of problems as we have all seen recently discussed on
this list.

If a database was used, then it could easily handle unique sequential serial
numbers with any number of workstations, since the serial number would not
be committed until the log transaction was written.  There is probably an
easy way to implement this with the current "logging technology" and not
even use a database.

I do agree that if serial numbers are basically not really used in the
contests, they shouldn't be required at all.

Ed