Re: [WriteLog] Yaesu FT-847 and AFSK?

To: "Magnus A" <sm6wet@telia.com>, <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [WriteLog] Yaesu FT-847 and AFSK?
From: Jerry Pixton <jpixton@shentel.net>
Date: Fri, 31 Dec 2004 12:30:34 +0000
Happy New Year Magnus,

I am a little confused. The FT847 does NOT have an FSK input.

It does have a AFSK input on the Data In/out jack. I have used this input for hf (actually satellite also) rtty many times. Set the rig to LSB. The trick is to use the PTT circuit (shown on page 16 of the FT-847 manual) to apply a PTT signal to the Data jack also. This cuts off the microphone circuit. Then you can adjust the level of the audio tones using the ALC meter. Of course you need to tell Writelog that "LSB is really FSK" so that Writelog will control the sound board to send the AFSK tones on the Line Out to your Data In circuit. An isolation transformer is also a good idea in the Line Out audio circuit.

The Packet din connector works when the rig is in FM

Hope this helps

Jerry, W6IHG