Re: [WriteLog] WL & DXD Unit Operational Issues

To: Eric Hilding <dx35@hilding.com>
Subject: Re: [WriteLog] WL & DXD Unit Operational Issues
From: Rick Tavan N6XI <rtavan@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 15 Jul 2005 11:46:08 -0700
I use WL with DXD. Comments below:

On 7/15/05, Eric Hilding <dx35@hilding.com> wrote:

> 1. With TR, I just plugged my paddles into the back of the DXD and I could
> send CW at the same speed as TR was set.  I can't get any CW to come out
> with the exact same paddle input using WL.  One of the DXD folks said it
> must be a WL issue, because the DXD is (by default) configured to work with
> both TR & WL.

Yes, it's a WL issue. WL doesn't accept paddle input the way TR does.
The only way I know of to get paddle sending through WL is to use an
external keyer. I use a Winkey. The  Microham interface embeds a
Winkey. I think the W5XD external keyer, from the guy who brought you
WL, has provision for paddle input. All these devices accept serial
port ascii from WL and convert it to Morse on the outside. The intent
is to provide clean CW which you really can't do with a multi-tasking
O/S like Windows. Paddle input is an extra added attraction.

> 2. With TR, I could Pg Up/Down and get an instant change in WPM while TR is
> sending CW.  In WL, any change seems to "hang up".  If I push Pg Up/Down
> again, then the WPM drops way too slow.  Is there some Magic .ini command
> or Menu option to fix this?

In TR, each PgUp or PgDn is worth 2 wpm (and I think you can change 2
to some other increment). In WL, each PgUp or PgDn moves up or down
one position in a list of discrete speeds contained in writelog.ini.
This doesn't explain any kind of "hang up" problem, though, and I
don't experience anything like that.

> 3. With TR, I could easily mute the audio on one Radio via the toggle
> switches on the DXD.  Last night I tried all combinations of the audio
> toggle switches, but always seemed to end up with audio from both Radios in
> the phones.  As an SO2R n00b, this was very frustrating.  Is there some
> different setting required within WL to make muting of either Radio as
> desired work in the DXD?  I looked for 'audio', 'mute', 'muting', etc. in
> the WL Help file Index but found no entries.

Dunno, Rick. WL uses a parallel port to tell the DXD which rig is
active. It worked for me under Win 2000 Pro by using the userport
utility to enable LPT1. However, userport doesn't work for me on Win
XP.  So I get manual DXD control just fine but PTT or AUTO Audio and
AUTO Transmit have various problems, probably due to the coincidental
state of various lines on LPT1. YMMV. I'm desperately seeking advice
on how to enable LPT1 on Win XP Pro SP2.

/Rick N6XI