Re: [WriteLog] WL & microHAM MK2R+ REMOTE STATION use???

To: "'Eric Hilding'" <dx35@hilding.com>, <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [WriteLog] WL & microHAM MK2R+ REMOTE STATION use???
From: "Joe Subich, W4TV" <w4tv@subich.com>
Date: Tue, 7 Nov 2006 21:32:42 -0500
Eric,

This is well beyond the appropriate level of detail for the WriteLog
reflector.

The appropriate venue to ask these questions is on the microHAM group
(http://groups.yahoo.com/groups/microham) or by direct e-mail to
either mailto:info@microham-usa.com or mailto:supprt@microham.com.

> 4. In a contest where both DVK (in my case, WriteLog SSB Message
> .wav files play) and direct microphone voice input to the rigs
> is desired...both within a single QSO...can MK2R+ handle this?

MK2R/MK2R+ will function with WriteLog's microphone/DVK switching.
WriteLog interfaces with the mic mute/Wave mute functions in the
MK2R "voice" sound card or MK2R+ sound device.

> 5. It appears direct audio input to the TS-480 bypasses COMP
> (internal TS-480 Compression), necessitating .wav files to be
> PRE-Compressed before use. Is there a Compression schema in the
> MK2R+ to provide separate compression on .wav files played
> from WriteLog's SSB Messages?

This is more TS-480 specific but microKEYER, MK2R and MK2R+ all
switch microphone and soundcard (wave output) into the microphone
input.  The "direct audio input" is only used for digital modes.

> > (From MICROHAM MK2R+ Features info)
> > - compatible with LPT interface (CT, TR, NA)
>
> Why isn't WL (WriteLog) listed? :-)

You will notice that only DOS loggers are listed in that statement.
WriteLog will only control line 14 (A/B) of the LPT.

> 6. A real BIGGIE...Footswitch control...my DXD has a mod installed
> which enables me to use a footswitch when desired to put the ONLY the
> audio from the SO2R "focus" radio into both ears.  This is extremely
> critical when being called by a weak, QRP type signal on the
> Run Radio!
> Does the MKR2+ have this capability?

The footswitch inputs are used for PTT (either single or dual
footswitch).  However, MK2R and MK2R+ have eight programmable
switching configurations ... any of them can be configured to
put the run radio in both ears.  I strongly suggest you download
the current manual for MK2R/MK2R+ and study its capabilities:
   http://www.microham.com/Downloads/MK2R_R_1_1_English.pdf

> 7. My HEIL HC-4 headset uses a 1/8" mono plug for mic and a 1/4"
> stereo phone plug for audio.  HOW do BOTH of these plug in right
> next to each other on the back of the MK2R+ ?

MK2R and MK2R+ have 1/4" and 1/8" jacks on the front panel one is
immediately above the other.

> 8. My Dell D-600 notebook computer has only ONE soundcard.  Am I
> understanding the the MK2R+ has TWO internal soundcards...
> which can both be used for VOICE (Radio 1 & Radio 2)??? This is
> extremely important for "Contest-Pedition" operation(s).

One sound device is used for voice operation the other sound device
is used for digital mode operation.  Both sound devices are stereo
(Radio_1 & Radio_2).

> 9. Is there any problem with the TS-480S friendly KRC2 Band
> Decoder piggybacking to the  RS-232 ports on the TS-480 rigs
> interfaced to the MKR2+?

If the KRC2 will operate in a "pass through" mode it can be
interfaced to the MK2R+ (between the Mk2R+ and the radios).
That is the recommended installation mode for the microHAM Band
Decoder with the TS-480.

> 10. Does the MK2R+ enable SO2R Audio RECORDING via WriteLog's
> internal Tools/Soundboard options configuration?

Not at present.  WriteLog expects audio recording on the same device
as the microphone input.  Hopefully, WriteLog soundboard control will
be extended to allow the audio review input to come from a separate
sound device.

> 12. Will X-KEYS (USB Macro Devices - http://www.piengineering.com )
> or other external USB macro devices connect directly to the
> MK2R+ ?   If not, can this capability be added?

No and No.  MK2R/MK2R+ do not provide USB outputs.

> 11. Is there a stereo output jack on the MK2R+ (1/8" Mini Stereo
> or 1/4" Stereo) for direct routing of audio to Mini-DV camera
> audio input (or any other external recording unit)?

Yes, the "speaker" jack on the rear panel is in parallel with the
headphone jack.

> 13. MKR2+ Optional antenna relay control...does this work
> with the Array Solutions 6PAK?

The antenna relay control is currently BCD output based on the radio
operating frequency ("band data").  If a programmer adopts the microHAM
control protocol the application will be able to arbitrarily set the
output to 1 of 15 BCD states.

> 15. Is there separate CW Sidetone for remote station use
> local monitoring?

No, MK2R and MK2R+ are designed as locally controlled and operated
devices.  They are not suitable for remote use.

> 17. Is there an Ethernet connection and home QTH basic MKR2+
> "control head" for remote operation available or in the works?

No, MK2R and MK2R+ are "single box" devices.  They do not have
an ethernet connection or any plans for remote operation.

Your application is so far out and the potential market so small
that I do not expect the factory will have any interest.

73,

   ... Joe Subich, W4TV
       microHAM America
       http://www.microHAM-USA.com