Re: [WriteLog] Network reliability

To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [WriteLog] Network reliability
From: "Charles Morrison" <cfmorris@bellsouth.net>
Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2007 22:10:13 -0600
> Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2007 15:02:40 -0000
> From: "Mike Brown" <mike@k9mi.com>
> Subject: Re: [WriteLog] Network reliability
> To: <writelog@contesting.com>
>
> I'm not sure what the differences might be, but we have ran WriteLog at
> our
> club's Field Day operation for the past 3 years, and I only remember
> one
> time, one of the computers locked up. And upon rebooting and getting
> back on
> the network, it picked up the qso's it missed from the other 2 pc's.
> Ours is
> just a simple 3 station network, using Win 98se on all 3 of the
> computers
> (Pentium 120's), and the same version of WriteLog. They are joined
> using the
> small coax (I forget the number). We have talked about making changes,
> but
> with everything running so well, I don't know what we would gain.
>
> Mike, K9MI

My problem has never been with relinking the network after a crash, that's
always performed fine.  Exit Writelog (a reboot is only necessary if
something hangs, which sometimes is a comport), restart it, register network
connection, wait for DDE to start, Link to Network computer.  About 5-10
seconds later the logs will sync.

The only networking problem I've EVER had was with TCP/IP networking
crashing, either coincidently along with the "band map flash" or because of
it.  For one CQWW, repeatedly, it was almost consistently about 20 minutes
following a restart/crash.  Switching to NetDDE has solved the problem for
over a year now.

Charlie
KI5XP