Re: [WriteLog] Garbled CW

To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [WriteLog] Garbled CW
From: "Gary AL9A" <al9a@mtaonline.net>
Date: Fri, 23 May 2008 08:51:07 -0800
Many things run in the background under Vista.  I'm never quite sure what I
can disable before a contest without messing up the computer, but I've found
turning off a few things helps a lot.  Turn off any desktop gadgets if you
have them.  Turn off all Windows sounds.  I leave my virus scan program
running, but disable automatic updates until after the contest.  Also
disable automatic program updates from various software vendors and any
automatic MS updates to Windows for the duration.  Any thing like that will
probably cause garbled cw to emanate when least expected.  Good luck.

73,
Gary AL9A