Re: [WriteLog] IC-746 CAT Problem

To: "Writelog Forum" <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [WriteLog] IC-746 CAT Problem
From: "Gerald Wilson" <gtwilson@k7vit.com>
Date: Sat, 24 Jul 2010 22:22:27 -0000
Hi Clay  N9IO,

I did not yet see a response to your question. [An answer to your posting on
the reflector may help the next guy who has a similar question.] The
information which you give is brief so I cannot say for certain what the
problem is that you are having.

I would suggest that you take a look at your rig's instruction manual and at
the ICOM IC-746 menu settings in your XCVR for CI-V address, baud rate,
Transceive, and possibly a setting which says "CI-V with IC-731."  Make sure
that the software and interface settings match exactly the IC-746 C-IV
address and baud rate which you are using.   Also importantly, do NOT use
the "Auto"-baud setting.   You may choose a discrete baud rate such as
19,200 or 9,600 baud.

Examples for your situation might be as follows:

C-IV Baud Rate: .....19200
C-IV Address: ........ 56h     (Address for a non-Pro IC-746)
C-IV Transceive: .... Off      (when you do NOT have another XCVR linked to
the 1st)
CI-V with IC-731: .. Off      (No IC-731?  You want this OFF!)

I am using an ICOM  IC-756 Pro2 here.  It has worked extremely well with
WriteLog and other radio controlling software.  One thing to watch for is
the way ICOM rigs communicate with the software.  If you want to work Split
VFO's or with the "Dual Watch" functions, it is necessary to use the
software to switch into and out of  split frequency/VFO mode because of the
information available to WriteLog on ICOM's serial communication line.  If
you're punching the split button on the rig, WriteLog cannot see that
happening.  Use WriteLog to change in and out of "SPLIT" and everything will
stay in sync.

Those are my suggestions for things to look at.   Not sure if this hits the
bullseye of your problem.
I hope this helps you get WriteLog up and running with your IC-746.  Happy
contesting.

CU on the bands es 73,

  Jerry    K7VIT