Re: [WriteLog] Rittyrite PSK

To: "Writelog Reflector" <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [WriteLog] Rittyrite PSK
From: "Gary AL9A" <al9a@mtaonline.net>
Date: Sat, 14 Aug 2010 21:04:18 -0800
Ok, making some progress, but now find I'm unable to transmit PSK.  Here is
my configuration.

Windows Vista Home Premium 32 bit, WriteLog V10.78K, Icom-7600, microHAM
microKEYER II.  In Rittyrite I have the following selected: Com port None,
Mode BPSK, TU Type Sound Board AFSK.  On the Setup/Ports menu I have DVK
type set to Windows sound board.  I can receive PSK signals and they are
printing ok in Rittyrite.  My problem is transmit.

I have the IC-7600 mode set to USB-D1 which mutes the mike and puts audio
output onto ACC1 pin 4.  This configuration works with my normal PSK
software.  In WL, when I press memory F key the radio goes into TX and the
MK II front panel LED's for PTT1 and SC (sound card) light up and the MK II
display screen shows "Playing", indicating it is playing a memory message.
Problem is I sometimes hear muted SSB audio messages playing and other times
I hear nothing at all.  If I play an F key memory with no SSB audio message
assigned to it an error message pops up saying that the wav file could not
be found.  That's an error message associated with USB or LSB modes.  I'm
set as USB-D1.  So why is WL playing wav files?

If I keep trying the F keys eventually the wav file audio ceases, but the MK
II indicates something is being played, I'm just not sure what. I suspect it
is still playing wav file recordings rather than the messages in the CW/RTTY
memory banks.  There are no PSK tones in the headphones or on the speaker
and nothing is being printed to the Rittyrite screen.  Both S/Po and ALC
meters show no output at all.  (They did show output when the audio memories
were mistakenly being played and I could hear them.)  I don't believe there
is a problem with the radio because it works fine with DxbPSK used with my
general logger.

I have never attempted to use PSK in WL before so I'm not sure if there is a
bug in V10.78K that wasn't there before or if there is an issue with the
sound card under Vista.  I've checked all the sound card settings in Vista
and nothing is muted and the volume levels look appropriate.  I know there
was a sound board issue with Vista and Rittyrite not working for CW in a
beta version of 10.78, but that was corrected with the latest release.
Unless there is something different about running BPSK instead of CW?  If
anyone has an idea of what I should check next please let me know.

73,
Gary AL9A