Re: [WriteLog] New CQ WW rule on lockout

To: WS7I <ws7ik7tj@gmail.com>, "[WriteLog]" <WriteLog@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [WriteLog] New CQ WW rule on lockout
From: "Joe Subich, W4TV" <lists@subich.com>
Date: Mon, 05 Sep 2011 13:07:16 -0400
The problem with the CQ rule is that it is completely unrealistic for
the "multiplier radio" in M/S and M/2.  None of the popular software
provides a "band aware" interlock function (and interlocks - software
or hardware are easily bypassed by VOX and/or a separate keyer) and
hardware interlocks need to include band inputs (and several popular
transceivers don't provide any "band data" outputs) or be manually
enable/disabled when changing bands.

Of course, rules like this are typical of CQ contests - rules should be
easily enforceable (e.g., once a transmitter has made a contact on a
given band, no other transmitter may make a contact on that band for 10
minutes), recognize the state of available/practical technology, and
consistent (e.g., regardless of the hardware/software used - if all of
the hardware is within the "circle" and only one operator makes all of
the contacts with no "data" feeds from outside the station - the entry
is "unassisted").

73,

    ... Joe, W4TV