Re: [WriteLog] MMTTY/2Tone

To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [WriteLog] MMTTY/2Tone
From: "WB2COY" <wb2coy@hvc.rr.com>
Date: Wed, 3 Apr 2013 15:45:03 -0400
This is an update to my previous posting where I believed I had everything
working to my satisfaction using XMMT.ocx for all Rttyrite wiindows. My main
Rttyrite window is set up with MMTTY using FSK on a COM port, and Clones are
set up using 2Tone and MMTTY with a different profile. I have separate folders
for all instances of MMTTY and 2Tone. Everything seemed fine until I realized
that AFC would turn on in MMTTY after clearing a callsign in the log Entry
field, either by right clicking in the Rttyrite window and selecting Clear
Entry Window, hitting Alt-W, or just logging a call. This requires clicking on
AFC and HAM to get back to no AFC action. This was unacceptable to me as a
casual S&P operator, because I never want AFC on in the decoder that I am using
for my Transmit function. Don, AA5AU confirmed this AFC behavior after we
conversed offline on my experiences. This does not happen with the Plugin.

Some background: My computer/radio setup is Windows 7-64bit, Dual Core 2.2 Ghz
processor, 3 GB RAM, U.S. Interface Navigator, ICOM 756ProIII. The Navigator
presents me with serial ports for PTT, FSK, CAT and other functions not related
to this issue. The Navigator provides a USB Audio Codec for receive audio, and
I am using FSK to send RTTY.

I found that I can set up my Main (primary) Rttyrite Window using the old
Plugin to avoid the AFC issue, but once it is up and running, any clicking on
TU Type in the Rttyrite Window will lock up that window and any other mouse
clicks in any windows are frozen. Task Manager can be used to shut down the
locked Rttyrite Window and the MMTTY Window, then clicking “Window” and “RTTY
Window” from the Entry Window will bring it back up without having to
completely shut down Writelog. Again, as long as I don’t touch the TU Type menu
item in Rttyrite, all is well. Any changes to MMTTY settings can be made via
MMTTY’s  Options-Setup feature. The COM port for FSK is set in the Rttyrite
window under Ports, and COM-TxD(FSK) is selected in MMTTY.

To summarize, for now my working configuration uses the Plugin for the primary
MMTTY window for Tx/Rx and both clones use XMMT.ocx. I do not want to use 2Tone
as my primary Tx/Rx as it has AFC on all the time, plus my testing showed the
stuttering transmit anomaly that Gary, AL9A described in an earlier post.

The bottom line is that if the AFC bug can be corrected using MMTTY and
XMMT.ocx, then I will use XMMT.ocx for all functions and drop the Plugin and be
a Happy Camper!

Hope this is helpful to others who are trying to sort this out.

73, Bob WB2COY