Re: [WriteLog] AFSK and a PTT Port?

To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [WriteLog] AFSK and a PTT Port?
From: Ed Muns <w0yk@msn.com>
Date: Sat, 20 Apr 2013 22:12:12 -0700
I second all of Joe's comments.  Furthermore, the 2Tone AFC and NET "locked
on feature" can be effectively disabled by simply zero-beating the station
you are working.  If CQing, then zero-beat with RIT.  If S&P, then zero-beat
with the VFO.  2Tone provides a very efficient means to zero-beat with its
dual pairs of yellow tone lines.  Just line them up with your tuning and
AFC/NET are irrelevant.

Admittedly, I was initially dismayed with 2Tone's AFC being on all the time
and WriteLog not able to turn off NET like N1MM Logger can.  But, I have
become comfortable based on how I operate, which is to always zero-beat the
station I am working.  The 2Tone AFC has an advantage in that it starts
copying a signal once it is tuned within +/- 60 Hz and one can finish
zero-beating while the caller is finishing their transmission.

Thus, I've been using 2Tone as my main decoder because I have enough
experience now to believe it is superior in more cases than either MMTTY or
the DXP38.  Since I use FSK transmission, NET doesn't matter and AFC is
nullified by my zero-beat tuning that I've always done.

Ed W0YK