Re: [WriteLog] RTTY PPT delay

To: Gary AL9A <al9a@mtaonline.net>, Writelog Reflector <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [WriteLog] RTTY PPT delay
From: Keith Goobie <keith@goobie.org>
Date: Mon, 29 Apr 2013 09:32:30 -0400
Hi All

I played as well in the SPDX RTTY contest (as part of VE3FJB) and I can
support the observations of Gary regarding PTT delays.  It is quite
noticeable.

I am running writelog 11.11c, both 2Tone & MMTTY through XMMT.ocx, and a
Flex 3000 connected through DDutil.  We just upgraded to 11.xx version of
Writelog prior to this contest and we were using this as a shakedown
contest.

Prior to the changes, we were running a version 10.xx Writelog with the
MMTTY plugin.  No delays in PTT and it was snappy with the Flex / DDUtil
combo.

Based on this info, I did notice in the contest that some stations I
communicated with had longer turn around times - quite noticeable - and it
does make one ponder were they using Writelog?

Please view my feedback as constructive.   Writelog is a super great
program.  We are not straying.  We did make some 300 contacts in SPDX in a
mostly search and pounce operation.

Keith - VA3YC
One of the Ops at VE3FJB

On 4/27/13 1:23 PM, "Gary AL9A" <al9a@mtaonline.net> wrote:

> I've been struggling to make a few QSOs in the SPDX RTTY contest and band
> conditions are simply awful.  However, it is providing a bit of a test bed for
> the new XMMT.ocx interface.  I've been noticing two things on transmit.  One,
> in the main Rttyrite screen that prints in blue italics text, my macro
> messages print erratically.  Sometimes they print out character by character,
> as with the MMTTY plug-in, other times the entire macro dumps onto the screen
> as soon as the F key is pressed, and still other times I see part of the macro
> print to screen, then a slight pause and then the rest of the macro dumps onto
> the screen.  Both of my clone windows, one with 2Tone the other with MMTTY,
> print the macros correctly character by character.  I don't know what the
> problem is with the main Rttyrite screen, but it seems to be sending ok
> despite the weird appearance.
>
> On another note, I use the microHAM MKII keyer and router software with my FSK
> setup.  It seems to me by ear that both the PTT lead and tail are longer than
> what I'm used to hearing with the MMTTY plug-in.  The PTT tail seems
> particularly long and I've tried adjusting that setting on the PTT tab in
> router to no avail.  Is there something in XMMT.ocx that is causing this?
> Anyone else notice it or just me?  I think I will reinstall the MMTTY plug-in
> and see if that makes a difference.
>
> 73,
> Gary AL9A

keith@goobie.org