Re: [WriteLog] Enter sends exch/QRZ?

To: "Alan Maenchen" <ad6e@arrl.net>, <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [WriteLog] Enter sends exch/QRZ?
From: "Gary AL9A" <al9a@mtaonline.net>
Date: Mon, 25 Aug 2014 11:33:45 -0800
Alan,

Tacking "TEST" to the end of a CQ does serve a purpose. If you are tuning across the band in CW and hear just the "TEST" part of the message you know one thing right away. Whoever the station is he is calling CQ to solicit a contact in a contest. You now have several options other than wasting a few seconds for him to call CQ again.

1. Keep tuning.
2. If you are using a spotting cluster check the WL band map and see who, if anyone, is spotted there and hope that is the correct call. Sometimes Skimmers get it wrong! 3. Call the station in the blind by sending only your call. This is accepted practice anyway. Even if you caught his call in the CQ, don't waste his time and yours by calling "W7XYZ de AD6E". If the station responds with your call and his exchange, send your exchange absent his call sign. This will usually result in a "TU W7XYZ" or whatever his call is. Now you have both his exchange and call without having to wait until his next CQ.
4. Wait for his next CQ message and call him then.

Finally, the other purpose served by "TEST" is it tells the casual non-contester op who just happened to tune onto the frequency that the station is calling in a contest. This means he is NOT seeking a rag chew QSO and expects a short abbreviated report. If the tuner listens a bit he can even discern what that exchange might be - RST plus serial number, zone, state, whatever. With this info in hand he can now make a call and work the CQing station.

If a station doesn't add "TEST" to the end of a CQ you might have missed his call anyway. Or perhaps the station should send his call multiple times? How many times would be enough? Two, three four? How is he supposed to know the exact moment you might tune by his frequency seeking to get his call? Asking "Who are you?" serves no purpose. It is not his fault if you caught just the "TEST". You should have been there sooner!

73,
Gary AL9A

-----Original Message----- From: Alan Maenchen