Re: [WriteLog] Add SendCustomRigCommand to automation interface???

To: Writelog <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [WriteLog] Add SendCustomRigCommand to automation interface???
From: Wayne Wright <w5xd@alum.mit.edu>
Date: Fri, 19 Sep 2014 15:55:38 +0000
   This sounds like something a C++ programmer could access, not us
   mere mortals! 73, Gary AL9A

Yes, it is a programming interface. It can be described as an extension of the existing
"Rig Commands"
in Keyboard Shortcuts. The new feature, like the old one, only works for rigs
whose serial
port protocol is based on text strings (i.e. the 100 or so ASCII characters as
opposed to using the
all 256 combinations possible in an 8 bit character.) The WriteLog rig drivers
for most such rigs
supports the "Rig Command" and those same drivers support the new
"SendCustomRigCommand".

As of 11.22 the rigs that support such are:
        Elecraft K3
        Yaesu FTDX-9000
        Yaesu FT-2000
        Yaesu FTDX-5000
        Kenwood TS-2000

Are "mere mortals" unable to program? In my opinion, it has become a beginner
level programming
task to write your own WriteLog extension. And the tools are free. The WriteLog
documentation
is here: http://writelog.com/ExternalShortcuts/
and the freely downloadable programming tools are here:
        http://www.visualstudio.com/downloads/download-visual-studio-vs

The idea is that you can write your own add-on which WriteLog will run from the
keyboard
shortcut of your choice (via its existing Keyboard Shortcuts mapping). The new
feature
in 11.22 is that such a keyboard shortcut can now form command(s) to send to
your rig. So
if you want to a keyboard shortcut to, say, update the rig's CW memory keyer
with the CALL
that you just typed into your Entry Window, then you have all the tools you
need to
accomplish that.

Or maybe you want keyboard shortcuts to switch IF filters based on what mode
(SSB or CW)
the rig currently is in?

Also note that these external command processors are programmed in Microsoft's
.NET, which
means that C++ programming is supported, but mere mortals probably will like C#
or Visual Basic
instead.

I anticipate the question, "why don't you just put all those features into
WriteLog?"

My answer is that I have made the decision (at least for now) to limit
WriteLog's
interaction with rigs to those things it can do with all rigs--set and read
frequency and
mode. I have broken this rule for the case of (some) dual receive rigs, but
only to the
extent that WL can manipulate the second receiver as if it were a separate rig.

Wayne, W5XD