Re: [WriteLog] USB Soundcard recommendation and setup

To: "Writelog user group" <WriteLog@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [WriteLog] USB Soundcard recommendation and setup
From: "Gary AL9A" <al9a@mtaonline.net>
Date: Wed, 28 Jan 2015 11:47:32 -0900
Chad,

Only running SO1R here, but here is my setup.

RTTY - I run FSK rather than AFSK, but depending upon your radio model it may be possible to mute the mic via a radio setting. In the IC-7600 there are four different settings for DATA that can be configured various ways depending upon what you want done. The defaults are DATA OFF MOD = MIC, ACC, DATA1 MOD = ACC, DATA2 MOD = MIC, ACC, DATA3 MOD = MIC. So for AFSK or PSK I press and hold USB or LSB for a couple of seconds and the mode changes to USB-D1 or LSB-D1. This keys the radio via the ACC1 jack on the rear panel while simultaneously muting the MIC jack input. Not sure how this works in Kenwoods, Yaesu's or K3's, but I have to believe there is some similar functionality depending upon the specific model.

SSB/DVK - I use the sound card in my microHAM microKEYER II for DVK use. The router software that configures the MKII settings handles the mic muting when the DVK is transmitting. Connections to the MKII are via USB from the PC and connections to the radio are provided by a specific microHAM interface cable depending upon the radio model being used. This cable has the correct plugs for the rear panel connections.

73,
Gary AL9A

-----Original Message----- From: Chad WE9V