Re: [WriteLog] SCP slowdown

To: <writelog@contesting.com>, "'Ron Dohmen'" <ron@n0at.net>
Subject: Re: [WriteLog] SCP slowdown
From: "Robert W5AJ" <woodr90@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 13 Dec 2015 23:18:11 -0600
Ron's original question on the SCP slowdown encouraged me to test a few
laptops
Plenty of HP and shows minimal use of CPU / memory with the slow down

TEST using FOUR LAPTOPS, all dual core (like Ron's), Test Log of 19,000
QSOs, current MASTER.DTA, no hyper threading - tested networked & stand
alone:
Note: Thinkpad X200 Ron mentions is the successor to the X61 laptop....

HP6455B 64bit, 2.3Ghz CPU, Win7 Pro, 4g RAM,      NO SWEAT on SCP
THINKPAD R60, 32bit 2G RAM, XP Pro, this is a ten year old laptop - NO SWEAT
on SCP

THINKPAD X61 #1, 32 bit, 2G RAM, WIN7 Pro -     Chug Chug, worthless on SCP
THINKPAD X61 #2, 32 BIT, 2G RAM, XP               Chug Chug  worthless on
SCP
both X61 would finish up SCP seconds after the call was typed in
painful with any kind of rate

Loaded memory up in one of the X61 -  still Chugging on SCP
Using msconfig, booted X61 in single and dual core modes - SCP just SLOW on
X61

Task master showing small CPU & memory usage (all four above)
Not sure what conclusion except maybe try before you buy
The X61 is smaller, lighter
Interesting to see the OLD R60 keeps up on SCP

your mileage may vary

73 Robert W5AJ