Re: [WriteLog] Makrothen Crash

To: Kostas SV1DPI <sv1dpi@otenet.gr>
Subject: Re: [WriteLog] Makrothen Crash
From: "Dean St. Hill" <dmsthill@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 11 Oct 2016 06:23:56 -0400
​​
Hi Nick

​I started responding from my cell, but took the time too walk to the shack
to post this response and to look back at the threads, ​

​I am seeing that you posted the original question on October 7th and that
KI6DY posted saying he had a similar problem. Following were - 11 responses
- including 2 from myself suggesting a few different possibilities.

​ Now that I have re-read the thread there were no further questions,
acknowledgements or further comments from you within that thread. is it
possible that you did not receive any of these emails? Why did you choose
to start another thread on the same issue?? It is your choice whether you
will ask for help in the future but it looks to me like you are not getting
the responses or you are not reading them - but something is wrong if you
think you did not get responses when I am seeing 11 responses. So you'll
need to review your email settings to figure out if your email client is in
some way contributing to your perception of the refletor - which I have
found to be mothing but helpful.

The truth is and maybe sometimes why answers are sparse is that it has
become more and more complex compared to back when k5dj was distributing.
So to be honest most of us ate probably struggling to keep our own systems
operational. For example I had a PTT problem just before the contest. I
posted when I was at my wits end and got a couple respons es but then the
problem just went away.

The markothen module is not a core module so it is possible that it needs
some coding updates. I have never had a crash with this module but
certainly have had crashes.

My suggestion which I already posted maybe in response to someone else's
crash
​ (and which was suggested to me by AA5AU and tested to be true
 is
​
​as follows:

"Could I suggest that you look in your writelog "contest" directory and
find the *.mdmp files - these should contain valuable information about the
situation when the crash occurred.

The files are named Writelog.12.xxY.mdmp - where xxY represents the build
like 12.08C or 12.07H oe 12.09F  - this number corresponds to the installer
zip file you used during the upgrade to latest version.

If you ciould zip the file and forward to Wayne W5XD with a short
explanation that could move the solution along as Wayne will be able to
quickly determine the nature of the problem and suggest a possible fix. If
he is not aware of the specifics getting a fix remains a far way off.

I had a problem with crashing when I exited the programme and he was able
to implement a fix based on the info he decoded from the file - it was a
windows problem but he reated a WL work-around which I believe was
subsequently implemented in newer versions of WL.​
​
o look in your WriteLog contest directory. There should be at least one
"mdmp" file named based on the version of WriteLog running. For example
mine would be wl
​"

This was posted on October 8th. Long response but necessary in the
circumstances. Now to get my coffee.

​Cheers

Dean - 8P2K

Dean St. Hill