[AMPS] Re: Hawaiin Humidity

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Re: Hawaiin Humidity
From: dbr@alumni.caltech.edu (David B. Ritchie)
Date: Tue, 1 Apr 1997 23:58:37 -0800 (PST)
A thought--
My parents have a piano at the beach
They leave a small wattage light bulb going inside it when they are away
It helps

Perhaps with a Henry if you left a light bulb going if you'll not be
using it for awhile, that will keep the humidity out.

Marty had an Alpha 78 at the same station -- we never noticed a problem
with humidity getting to it.  But it doesn't have that big choke or the
500pf standoff ceramic doorknob caps.  It also doesn't run 4000 V.

Dave N7UE

On Tue, 1 Apr 1997, Jim Reid wrote:

> At 06:39 PM 4/1/97 -0800, David B. Ritchie wrote:
>
> >The ones that I've used were in Hawaii and its very humid there --
> >perhaps that contributed to the mortality rate.
> >

> Yes,  that is why I leave my computers and both transceivers on
> 24 hours per day.  However,  not the Alpha 87A.  I believe the
> tubes will last much longer without the filaments heating the
> cathodes for 24 hours per day,  but who knows?  Should the
> 87A be on all the time,  on standby?  Would clearly keep the
> moisture out,  but the little radio shack room stays at about
> 80F from the heat of the computers,  etc.  That ought to keep
> the innards of the 87A dry,  I hope.  Any other high humidity
> survival ideas?
>
> 73,  Jim, KH7M

David B. Ritchie, Esq.
D'Alessandro & Ritchie, P.C. -- Intellectual Property Lawyers
3521 E. Yorkshire Road, Pasadena, CA  91107-5432
818-683-8800 (TEL)   818-683-8900 (FAX)   dbr@alumni.caltech.edu