[AMPS] Best HF Amplifier Today??

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Best HF Amplifier Today??
From: NOLLAMIDZICH@classic.msn.com (NOLL AMIDZICH)
Date: Tue, 11 Nov 97 03:32:18 UT
Herb

I am an owner of an ALPHA 77DX AND a 87A. The 77dx I've had since 1983. It's a
great amp especially for one who wants to contest 48 hours and not worry about
"blowing things up".
However, having said that, since 1983 I've had to replace 1 vacuum relay and 3
( 2 of which were put into service as new) 8877 tubes. It's still a great amp
and I believe a lot of 8877s "went west" for various and sundry reasons. I've
always tried to keep the grid current as low as possible but things do
happen.The amp is HEAVY, about 105 lbs. The 87A is absolutely the slickest amp
I've had the pleasure of owning in 34 years of amateur radio. It's fantastic
especially for contesting and in my case a lot of casual operating is done
during the short "free periods" I have during the week. I don't want to spend
this limited time tuning my amp up all the time. Once again nothing is
perfect. I've had the amp since 11-95 and about I year ago the amp went back
to Alpha because the high voltage decoupling caps "went west". Nothing is
perfect but for my needs the 87A comes the closest. It's still far and away
the best amp in it's class out there.Good luck. Noll W9RN--