[AMPS] Best HF Amplifier Today??

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Best HF Amplifier Today??
From: n4zr@contesting.com (Pete Smith)
Date: Tue, 11 Nov 1997 12:33:23
At 06:56 AM 11/11/97 +0000, w8jitom@postoffice.worldnet.att.net wrote:

>Every amplifier has pluses and minuses Herb. The reason for this is
>cost.
>
>A curve of amplifiers sold versus cost appears as an exponential
>downward curve as cost rises. You just have to decide what your
>requirements are, and pick an amp based on that.
>
>As a general rule, the more simple the amp the less problems.

In fact, a pretty good case can be made that the SB-220/TL-922/L4/L7 class
of amps, bought used (what else?), are easily the best value going. Where
else can you get a dB for $40-50?  I can buy a lot of index cards (to mark
dial preset locations) for the difference in cost with an 87A (or, for that
matter, the difference between the 87A and any other amp).

73, Pete Smith N4ZR
n4zr@contesting.com

"That's WEST Virginia.  Thanks and 73"