[AMPS] ARCING MORE

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] ARCING MORE
From: m.j.willis@rl.ac.uk (Mike Willis)
Date: Thu, 16 Apr 1998 08:16:39 +0100
At 23:04 15/04/98 +0100, you wrote:
>Rich Measures wrote:
>> My guess is that when a new Tune C is installed, or
>>when new plates are installed, the intermittent arcing problem will not
>>go away.
>
>That's probably true. Replacing the plates is probably necessary, but
>it's only treating a symptom. It isn't treating the root cause.

It may be. Once the capacitor arced and the plates became deformed
the arc persisted. The original cause of the arc was operator error,
much of that cause will be treated by the extraction of the cost of
the repairs from the users bank balance and lost free time during
a major opening etc.

The failure was not a failure in the tuning capacitor. Something
else may be dead, but if the amplifier works to 500W before arcing,
I can't think what it might be, except perhaps a shorted anode
blocking capacitor. That is easily tested.

Mike