[AMPS] Re:

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Re:
From: measures@vc.net (Rich Measures)
Date: Wed, 13 May 98 11:40:12 -0800
To: <amps@contesting.com>
>> Date:          Wed, 13 May 1998 01:22:18 -0800
>> From:          Rich Measures <measures@vc.net>
>
>For those sick of name calling, skip to the end. There is a technical
>point Rich made that plainly indicates he believes the best
>suppressor is no suppressor at all.

I could not find such a statement, Mr. Rauch.  .  .  If this was my
position, we would have seen eye-to-eye on your design decision to use no
VHF-suppressor whatsoever in the Ameritron/MFJ AL-1500 -- which was
undoubtedly Not the case.

>For those who wonder about honesty, read it all.
>
>> >Do you really think name calling furthers your technical position?
>> >
>> He asked a question.  I gave him my answer.
>
>I see.

apparently not

>He asked you why you called me an rauchsnauzer (or
>something) instead of keeping the response technical, and you
>respond by explaining I am a "lapdog".

It looks like you need to re-read the exchange.

>Do you believe name calling elevates the technical content of your
>posts?

>> >Can you copy, and post that comment? All we have is "your word".
>> >
>> Can you look in the KN6DV archive?
>
>No I can't, I don't know how.
>
>If you state that someone "said something", you should quote that
>person's words  exactly as written. Otherwise we have only your
>opinion of what was said, and opinions have no technical value.

We have Will's archive.

>> >Not true Rich. We have been all through that, and I even faxed
>> >several interested people a copy of a letter from Varian that
>> >confirmed my statement. You refused my offer for a copy.
>> >
>> Post it on a Web site so that everybody can have a look, Mr. Rauch.  .  .
>>  I refused your offer because your statment (sic) about Miklos did not
check
>> out, and because even a computer-bozo like me knows how to use Adobe
>> Pagemaker to create an authentic-looking Eimac document saying that
>> Charles Thomas Rauch, Jun. is absolutely, positively, 100% technically
>> correct in anything he utters, and that he is hereby recognized as an
>> amplifier expert.
>
>Let me see if I have this correct.
>
>Because you can forge official looking documents, and because the
>documents I have disagree with your claims that I am a liar, I must
>be a liar.

You denied that you sent me the letter threatening to sue me and the ARRL
if my rebuttal to the 9/94 *QST* (pp.71-4) was ever published in *QST*.

>> >Mr. Miklos is also listed in the front of a VHF handbook as an
>> >engineering manager for Varian.
>> >
>> And if the ARRL had bothered to talk to the Personnel Dept. rep at
>> Eimac/Varian's Salt Lake City plant, like I did, they would have been
>> told that Mr. Joseph Miklos was not an "R+D Engineering Manager" during
>> his period of employment there, and that he was an "Engineer-B".  .
>
>I see, so it is not only me lying just to discredit you. Buzz Miklos
>is also a  liar,  who falsified his credentials in textbooks just to
>discredit you.

The C.V. info on Miklos that the ARRL published does not agree with the
info provided by his former employer, Eimac-Varian.  I have no idea who
furnished the ARRL's with the information they published..

>It's "interesting", Rich, how anyone who disagrees with you is a
>liar.... and how documents that disagree with you are all false.

hardly

>> If some guy says that O.J. Simpson sliced his wife, does that mean the
>> guy is a wife-slicer too?
>
>If one person says another might have done something or be something,
>it is only a personal  opinion.

... not if the proffered story does not check out.

>Personal opinions and name calling
>are best left out of technical discussions.

Have I suggested that anybody's  part-time secretary might be licking
more than stamps and envelopes?.

>Why won't you do that?
>
>> > N7WS concluded the suppressor you sent him, which was NOT the
>> >design you normally sell,
>>
>> I did not send Wes a suppressor.  I sent him some different alloys of
>> nichrome resistance-wire, some Matsushita 100-ohm, <12nH, MOF resistors
>> that would dissipate 12w for 1 hour, and a silver-soldering kit.  Wes
>> built the resistance-wire suppressors. .  .   We do not sell suppressors.
>>  We sell materials
>
>Let me correct my mis-statement.
>
>The nichrome suppressor Wes tested was greatly different than the
>suppressor you "do not sell" to people.

We still use the same 100-ohm Matsushita resistor, and the L is about the
same that Wes used, although L is normally adjusted to compensate for
anode supply potential  -- i.e., more volts =s less L.  He Wound up with
75nH, which is a bit below average.

>Why didn't you ask Wes to build a suppressor exactly like the one you
>"do not sell", instead of testing a different style suppressor?

Wes built the suppressor from the same 3-500Z schematic that went out
with the suppressor retrofit kits.  .  However, if he had used the same
amount of L that your suppressor used (101nH), instead of the 75nH that
he used in the resistance-wire suppressor, the resistance-wire suppressor
would have exhibited an even lower VHF-Rp.

>Since it was different, why do you misuse the results?

I do not understand the question.

>> >was no different than the conventional
>> >suppressor at upper VHF but the conventional suppressor was much
>> >lower loss at HF.
>>
>> According to Wes' data, at 200MHz, the Rp of the copper-wire suppressor
>> was 169.5-ohms, and the Rp of the  resistance-wire suppressor was
>> 103.7-ohms.
>
>Finally something technical from you!!!
>
>1.) You claim the best suppressor is one with the lowest Rp.
>
>2.) The conventional suppressor has an Rp of 170 ohms, and the
>nichrome 104 ohms.

agreed

>Let's take that further.....
>
>The lowest Rp would occur with a dead short, zero turns and zero
>ohms. Rp would be zero.

 Wes' "Rp" is not the suppressor shunt resistance.

>Following your logic, wouldn't the best suppressor be no suppressor
>at all..since Rp would be zero ohms?

Nope, because as a VHF suppressor's shunt resistance (Rs) increases,
and/or as the suppressor's shunt inductance (Ls) increases,  VHF-Rp
decreases.  The "gotcha" is that increasing Rs and Ls exponentially
increases the 28MHz dissipation in Rs, so u gotta be careful not to
overdo what seems like a good thing. .  More is not always mo' betta.
, .  .  Rp is the resistive part (horiz. vector) of the Z-equivalent of
the suppressor's Y (admittance).  {see p. 27, March, 1989 *QST*, or see
the JPEG version on my Website.}

>> >Amen. You would do well to remember that, and be more honest with
>> >yourself and others.
>> >
>> Is it honest to claim that 169-ohms is no different than 103-ohms?
>
>I see, so now Wes is a liar?

The person who claimed that there was no difference is none other than
you, Mr. Rauch.

>> Is it honest for you to stonewall your post of 28 November, 1996?
>
>Stonewall what post?

Your suggestion about calculating the results of using a Ls with 5-ohms
of VHF-ESR.  .  .  Ummm. .  . errr. . .  what Watergate breakin?  .  .

>There you go again with impossible to
>understand personal innuendo.

Stonewalling is refusing to discuss an issue.  You undoubtedly cancelled
the post in question and refused to discuss why.  However, thanks to the
steely will of a guy named Will, the post had already been archived by
the time you apparently ran through the calculations and seemingly
realized the implications.  .  .

>Out of that big long post there was only one technical point
>you made.

...essentially that 5 ohms of VHF-ESR in Ls results in a large difference
in VHF-Rp.

>I've made my point about your name calling and accusations.
>Unless you have something technical, like a response to the Rp issue,
> I'm done.

ok

Rich...

R. L. Measures, 805-386-3734, AG6K