[AMPS] big or small amps, we're all hams

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] big or small amps, we're all hams
From: andy_m_99@yahoo.com (john merryman)
Date: Mon, 25 Jan 1999 18:03:29 -0800 (PST)

Yes i agree totally, there are some individuals who dont want to
educate people, but who just want to bottle up information, either for
commercial gain or just have a poor attitude, and some people who just
love making fun of people in front of others. This is a  recent
phenomenon, since in days gone past people were willing to share
knowledge.

Equally sad is the quality of printed information, i must admit now
that i go through bookshops and hamfests looking for all the old radio
engineering and electronic book, because they explain things in simple
clear english. The maths is also very well illustrated. I have learned
more from these books than all issues of the Arrl Handbook put together.

The ARRL and others complain about black box operators all the time,
yet they are supposed to be educating us and trying to improve our
knowledge, yet they fail at this. Look at the Handbook, besides all
the geniuses on this board, has anyone actually looked at the section
on High Voltage Power supply design, its not very good. Its
application of maths, formulas and design principles is very poor and
has many errors. If you want to build a canned project power supply
its great, but if you want to understand how to design and calculate
things and go your own way, you will struggle if you are a newcomer.
There are many other areas like this in the Handbook. CARL THEIR IS A
CONTRACT JOB OPPORTUNITY, STRAIGHTEN THESE ARRL MORONS OUT, and show
them how its done.

Yet a Guy Like RICHARD MEASURES, can on his web page teach you more in
50 pages about amps and high voltage power supplies than it would take
10 years to accumalate waiting for articles in QST QEX etc,  or the
latest ISSUE of the Handbook, KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK RICH.

Well some could learn from the honest and true Ham spirit of Rich
Measures, i wish their was a 100 more individuals like him, who help
share and educate and raise the standards of us all. Because many
would like to reduce us to morons, that use articles and kits without
understanding what they are doing. We will be back in the dark ages
going Hail The Great God Carl!

nuff said

To: <amps@contesting.com>
> > Date: 25 January 1999 10:07
> >

> > I realize that the heat may have passed, but I just wanted to
comment
> on
> > one sentence that I read this morning:

> building
Rich

> > >Yeah sure, how many need 100KW Elmers that have zero revelence to
> any ham
> > >reality? Interesting reading but of no practical use at 1500W.
> >
> > The theory and practice of RF power amplifiers are identical,
whether
> it's
> > 100 watts or 100 Megawatts. Pi networks, tubes, HV power supplies.
It
> all
> > scales up or down. Ohms law always seems to work. Maybe corona
creeps
> in,
> > but other than that.....
> >
> > I don't particularly believe that it is irrelevent, or I would not
> have
> > even mentioned what I build for my own career thing.  I could just
> sit here
> > talking about my modified SB220 (it does work, and has the same mods
> that
> > most hams chat about here) but I thought something more interesting
> to most
> > amplifier builders would be other units, that use the EXACT same
> > prinicipals as the 1500 watters. In 1978 I built/modified an 829B
> amplifier
> > on two meters. Yuk! But I learned from that old piece. Most of the
> advice
> > that I read from a number of very knowledgeble RF experimenters
here,
> > agree with. Which is exactly why I don't like to waste bandwidth on
> the
> > Internet complaining, or shooting down other peoples circuits.
When a