FW: [AMPS] Re:HV on tube w/o filament voltage

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: FW: [AMPS] Re:HV on tube w/o filament voltage
From: w4eto@rmii.com (Richard W. Ehrhorn)
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 1999 09:49:49 -0700
Hi Jon, George & all...

The underlying issue with respect to applying positive voltage to vacuum
tube plates and/or screens prior to completion of cathode warm-up is this:
until the cathode is uniformly hot and emissive, any strong electric field
at the surface of the cathode may draw current from, and create sufficient
current density at, one or more "hot spots" (i.e., small areas that get
"hottest soonest") sufficient to damage the cathode. I've heard that
particles of oxide may be pulled off the cathode, damaging it and
contaminating other elements of the tube. E.g., presumably cathode oxide on
a gold-plated grid  is bad news for secondary emission.

However, if the tube is grid-biased beyond cutoff, no cathode current can
be drawn because the cathode is "shielded" (by the control grid) from
positive fields due to plate and/or screen voltage. This is phrased rather
seat-of-the-pants-like and others probably can refine the details and
underlying physics.

But the bottom line is: All ALPHAs apply standby potentials simultaneously
to heater, grid, plate, and screen grid if applicable, at turn-on - most
importantly, grid bias beyond cutoff. As would be expected, there's been
absolutely zero evidence of any negative consequences. This applies to
3CX1000A/3CV1500A7, 8877/3CX1500A7, 8874, 3CX800A7, and 4CX800A tubes, by
the many thousands, over the past 29 years.