[AMPS] parasite

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] parasite
From: km1h@juno.com (km1h@juno.com)
Date: Thu, 8 Apr 1999 11:44:11 -0400

On Thu, 8 Apr 1999 00:45:08 +0100 John Lyles <jtml@lanl.gov> writes:

>I see a parasite has invaded the ever quiet mailing list.
>
>First, I have to comment on Dick's comment:
>
>>And BTW, I also think those old ARRL Handbooks that John mentions,
>cc.
>>1947-56 or so, covered the subject in a much more practical and
>helpful way
>>than more recent publications. Guess it's because lots of us were in
>high
>>school back then, had no choice but to brew our own amps, and
>(blush!) had
>>barely even heard of "Q."
>
>Speak for yourself, OM! I wasn't even a glimmer in my Dad's eye in
>'47.
>'56, well, I was crawling in diapers then. Hey, you guys must have
>been
>something in high school. Building amplifiers. Didn't ya chase girls
>behind
>the stadium and all that stuff?

Lets see, got my General in Nov '56 and my drivers license in Dec. Had my
first KW amp working early '57 with a pair of 250TH's.  By summer '57 had
a 49 Ford with 3/4 race flathead V-8 and 60W on 10/20M AM.
Was on the track and swimming teams.
The stadium was 2 blocks from my house and underneath was were the action
was.
The Ford was a great female attractor and many sweet honeys enjoyed the
trip to the ocean and the sand dunes; the ham radio remained silent at
appropriate times; just let the AM BCB radio wear down the battery
listening to the Allen Freed show on WINS 1010.

73  Carl  KM1H

or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]