[AMPS] Re: Ferrite Rod for 6M Amp

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Re: Ferrite Rod for 6M Amp
From: mgilmer@gnlp.com (Gilmer, Mike)
Date: Fri, 28 May 1999 16:00:05 -0400
There seems to be a lot of "going around" on this Ferrite Rod thread
(but you KNEW that!). Pardon what may be stupid questions - I'm a
hardware guy who's gone "soft" :o)  I'll jump in anyway, and maybe learn
something.

> >People who aren't totally familiar with PA operation sometimes
> >confuse harmonic distortion with the type of distortion that causes
> >splatter. Splatter is NOT caused by harmonic distortion, splatter is
> >caused by amplitude non-linearity in the envelope shape.
> >
> Is this a plea-bargain?

Is not amplitude non-linearity in the envelope of the RF actually
(usually?) harmonic distortion in the AUDIO?  This is splatter, right?
Perhaps two-tone type stuff in the not-so-linear (on purpose or
otherwise) parts of the transmitter can contribute, too, but the audio
is where we tend to create splatter.

> >> ?  Harmonic distortion has everything to do with sine waveshape
> >> distortion.
> >
> >That's right. But harmonic distortion has no ill effects in a narrow
> >band PA.
> >
> It does when your neighbors are watching the NBA playoffs.

Harmonics content in the RF are not and do not cause "splatter".

However, harmonics of the RF do make it out the connector (albeit
30-40dB down) and into the antenna and get radiated, even though the PA
and the antenna are "narrow-band".

Has this discussion split hairs regarding what constitutes "harmonic
distortion"?  Is there better terminology for the conditions being
described here?

Now that I've jumped in, am I all wet?

Regards to all,
Mike N2MG