[AMPS] Bias for SB-220

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Bias for SB-220
From: measures@vc.net (Rich Measures)
Date: Wed, 2 Jun 1999 09:50:39 -0700

>Hi Peter,
>
>> Rich says;
>>
>> >However, with RF-derived bias switching, the tubes rapidly switch in and
>> out >of linear bias during normal speech when the relays are in the
>> transmit >position
>>
>> Do I understand from that comment that the majority of these bias schemes
>> actually try to switch to follow the RF envelope, rather than 'hang' for a
>> few tens to hundreds of milliseconds after the RF disappears? If that's
>> the case, I can understand why they are so bad for splatter. Given even a
>> hundred milliseconds hang time, it should be OK for splatter (provided the
>> attack is fast enough), but without.......................Rich is too kind
>> in his comments.
>
>Rich apparently does not exactly understand how auto-bias works
>in many cases.
>
>In the AL-80B and  AL-800 series, auto-bias turns on hard with
>drive power as low as a few dozen milliwatts.
>
>But even when the auto bias does not turn on, the tube still has a
>few mA of quiescent current, and so remains in class AB.
>
>The circuit also has hang time.
>
>Rich apparently bases his prejudice on old data, from the early
>ETO amps and articles by Pittinger and others where the tube was
>forced to high levels of cutoff bias by a transformer operated bias
>supply. In that design, the auto-bias had to pull the tube out of
>cutoff, requiring extra time to discharge capacitors and restore
>conduction. Those system did not use a fast attack slow decay
>switch in the bias system, because it was necessary to move the
>bias voltage so far and the tube was forced hard into cutoff, instead
>of resting at a low dissipation but still linear state..
>
>The AL-800 is typically over -40 dB IMD in a three tone test, with
>no detectable change in IMD performance as the auto-bias is
>disabled and replaced with conventional bias.

?  But of course!.  .  .   A three-tone test does not simulate the
problem of using RF-actuated bias-switching with humanoid speech.  .
Curiously, G2DAF-enthusiasts (which Mr. Rauch quite rightly ridicules)
use multi-tone tests to "prove" that the G2DAF circuit really and truly
does not have any IMD problem whatsoever.

>This reminds me a little bit of the ferrite core conclusion. The world
>according to Garp.

?  The ferrite manufacturer rates u=125 core material for 10MHz.  In my
application, there was a problem at 14MHz.   The fix was to switch to a
ferrite core material rated at 50MHz.

-  cheers, Tom.

Rich...