[AMPS] Bias for SB-220

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Bias for SB-220
From: Peter_Chadwick@mitel.com (Peter Chadwick)
Date: Wed, 2 Jun 1999 13:28:05 +0100
Mike says:

        >In my view, the only sensible way is to interlock bias switching
with TX/RX switching.

        I agree; but perhaps one has to remember the business about 'kidding
some of the people some of the time'

        You can make quite a bit of money out of pandering to the latest
fashion: if we could persuade people that some magic switch cleaner would
make their relays last longer, or that some special grease rubbed on their
plate xfmr would reduce its temperature or whatever, we'd doubtless sell
some. I believe the American term for it is 'snake oil'.

        Tom is suggesting that biasing right off  leads to problems; I guess
reducing the standing current  rather than cutting it off reduces the
problem, but then one has to question how much it's really worth - how
quantifiable are the benefits?

        73

        Peter G3RZP